Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Google App Engine

Recently, I started building my own website. Since I'm a Java developer, I wanted to build a website in Java. For work, I usually build web applications using Oracle's ADF, so for now, I wanted to use some other technology.

Of course, building a website in Java offers a lot of possibilities, but it also has its drawbacks. For example, most free webhosting solutions don't support Java applications. Therefore I had to either put up my own server, or find some cloud solution.

I opted for the latter, and quickly encountered Google as a provider for my needs. And more specifically: Google App Engine. After some quick research, I found that there are plugins for Eclipse (or STS, in my case) to get started easily. After installing the Google App Engine SDK Plugin for Eclipse, creating and deploying an application to the web is a matter of a few clicks!

More information on how to build applications for Google Apps Engine will follow shortly, in upcoming posts.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment